This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Looking for valuable error coins and rare varieties from every denomination?

Or maybe you simply want to know what errors and varieties exist for just pennies, or just nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, or dollars…

Must read: The Difference Between Coin Errors & Varieties

There are so many types of error coins and varieties out there, but knowing which ones are really worth looking for can be confusing.

Often, coins that people think are errors or varieties turn out to have only post-mint damage or common striking problems from the mint that really aren’t classified as errors.

So, we’ve rounded up all the information you need on the most popular errors and varieties from each denomination of U.S. coins!

Get ready… there are a lot of coins with errors and varieties to collect.

Penny Error Coins List

Here is the official error list of U.S. pennies.

Pennies offer a plethora of errors and varieties — some are fairly common and some are extremely rare. They range in value from a few dollars to as much as $200,000+ and include a smorgasbord of cool rarities and unusual pieces. The bottom line… When it comes to pennies, there are lots of valuable errors to look for!

These are the penny errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

Penny Error CoinsPenny Error Coin Value
Floating Roof Lincoln Memorial Pennies $1+ (officially, these are not categorized as errors or varieties but are worth mentioning)
Large Date vs. Small Date Pennies $1+
1989-D Copper Penny$3,500+
1990 No-S Proof Penny$3,000+
1992 Close AM Pennies$2,000+
1995 Doubled Die Penny $30+
1999 Wide AM Penny$150+

Nickel Error Coins List

Here is the official error list of U.S. nickels.

While there are not as many significant errors or varieties specific to nickels as there are pennies, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep your eyes peeled for some incredible finds on your five-cent coins. In fact, one of the most important error varieties of the 20th century is found on the 1937-D Buffalo nickel.

These are the nickel errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

Dime Error Coins List

Here is the official error list of U.S. nickels.

Some of the most valuable error coins are found among dimes. The problem is, some of these errors (particularly the many “No S” mintmarks on the proof Roosevelt dimes) won’t be found in circulation — they only exist in collector proof sets. Still, there are several rare dime errors and varieties that can be found in your pocket change.

These are the dime errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

Quarter Error Coins List

Here is the official list of U.S. quarter errors.

There are so many errors and varieties on quarters that searching for them could keep collectors busy forever! (Sort of like all the error pennies do.) Some of the most fascinating errors and varieties to be found on the quarter are worth hundreds, even thousands of dollars. Best of all, most of the quarter errors can be found in circulation!

These are the quarter errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

Half Dollar Error Coins List

Here is the official list of U.S. half dollar coin errors.

You may not find too many half dollars in your loose change anymore, but there are plenty of half dollar errors worth looking for in bank rolls, proof sets, mint sets, and other places. While the trusty Franklin half dollars carry some “hare-raising” varieties, some of the most valuable oddities are found on the Kennedy halves (roll searchers, rejoice).

These are the half dollar coin errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

Dollar Error Coins List

Here is the official list of U.S. dollar coin errors.

While dollar coins have had relatively little success as circulating coinage in the United States, they nevertheless have served important roles in our nation’s commerce. And while there aren’t many who can say they’ve regularly encountered dollar coins in spare change, there are many silver dollars and small-sized dollar coins that feature some valuable errors and varieties.

These are the dollar coin errors you should be looking for — and their current value:

3 Tips For Spotting Error Coins And Varieties

Searching bank rolls is one efficient and lucrative way of looking for error coins and varieties.

Whether you’re looking for pennies with errors or silver dollars with varieties, it never hurts to have a little help along the way.

These next 3 tips can help you find the rare and valuable errors and varieties you’re looking for!

#1 – Search coin rolls.

Many of the most successful hobbyists who collect errors and varieties regularly search through bank rolls and bags. It does take persistence, though. Many collectors have not only found popular errors and varieties this way — but have actually discovered new ones, too!

#2 – Do some cherrypicking at a coin shop.

A great many coin dealers have no idea that some errors and varieties even exist. Often, coins with obscure but significant errors and varieties are mistakenly labeled and priced as ordinary coins. So, if you have a good eye, you may find such coins being sold for much less than their real value by a coin dealer!

#3 – Check estate sales and garage sales.

Ex-collectors who are selling their coin collections along with the rest of their belongings in the front yard or community center may have no idea about the error coins and varieties that exist in their stash. You could find some valuable coins at such sales — if you’re patient and know what you’re looking for.

Like this post? Save it to read again later… or share with others on Pinterest!

U.S. error coins worth money... by denomination!

Don’t miss our latest tips!

Stay up to date with everything about U.S Coins

We don’t spam! Read more in our privacy policy

30 thoughts on “U.S. Error Coins By Denomination: Rare & Valuable Pennies, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars & Dollar Coins You Should Be Looking For”

1. Hi there!

I’m a newbie! My daughter and I have been rolling pocket change that I have been saving for 15 years. I recently decided to open them all to see if I can find some coins that could help pay some bills;)

So far, I have looked through about 25 rolls of pennies.

I went to a local coin shop just to pick his brain. He said I was wasting my time and to just take the coins to the bank.

Not what I wanted to hear, but thinking he’s right???

Any hope?

• Thank you so much for responding, Josh!

I’m not giving up;-) We have pennies ranging from the 1930’s to present. We have found several wheat pennies in the rolls, so that is encouraging.

My daughter and I have moved on to the nickel rolls and found a 1927 P nickel, along with one with the date worn off.

If nothing else, I’m enjoying cherry picking with my daughter!

Thank you again for your time.

Kat

• That’s excellent, Kat! For what it’s worth, it’s hard to find any Buffalo nickels in regular bank rolls, and it sounds like you both have already found at least two…. I’m glad to hear you and your daughter are enjoying the pastime together, and I sincerely hope you find something of significant monetary value!

2. Hello Joshua!

I’ve been reading your articles as I go through years of putting change in piggy banks to see if I have anything interesting. I’ve made a few small finds and have really enjoyed this as a new hobby, but I recently went through all my Susan B. Anthony’s and found something odd. Both of the coins in the photos are 1979’s, but one seems to be gold plated. Was this done post mint? Thanks for taking the time to share what you know with the world!

Kathryn
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/85fbc92b17992087df3eb0da64fa25703d3fb53b6dfc01add4149bac00de0060.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/20137f08da87c920e7216f5337d67943a958cb0f30e6a0affa1f3fb2bc29d84b.jpg

• Hi, Kathryn!

I’m glad you reached out with your question! Yes, your 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar was gold plated outside the mint, just as you suspected. While such gold plating has a bullion value of just pennies, I still think it’s a neat find!

All my best,
      Josh

3. hey Joshua, been awhile congrats on your achievements. I seen and read the articles in my pcgs rare coin market report https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/cac1f745f98e262c5af41d480c7ab2c042b8401d93bfdce8b55497aaba9185fe.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/dbd3eb20cc4107e00b9af8968cc5810a593ddf8c6df6a594ddce2cd9c67d85d5.jpg /dec addition . Awesome brother. okay ive been trying to find the exact error here but I’m stumped little help please https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ea78501749f6b327c4590b89ce6373141aeeee5f45101ab75836edc11563b26e.jpg

• Hi, Ray!!

I appreciate the kind comments and well wishes! I wish I had some good news for you here but unfortunately what you have is a heavily damaged 1982-P dime with dents, divots, and subsequent unusual wear patterns caused by the disruptions to the metal. While a looker to be sure, it’s worth face value.

Best wishes,
      Josh

• Hi, Justin —

All but the 1990-D penny show post-mint damage and are worth face value except the 1966 penny, which is worth about two cents for its copper value. The 1990-D penny shows minor blistering of the copper coating, layered on a zinc core. The blistering is caused at the mint but extremely common and isn’t drastic enough here to really trigger any extra premium. Because I seem to see some minor wear on this coin it’s worth face value.

Hope this helps!
      Josh

• Hi, Justin —

I’m afraid this is definitely post-Mint damage… It looks like this coin may have spent time on parking lot pavement or even a road. A little tip going forward; if a coin you find has holes, pits, bumps, or chunks missing it’s virtually always and only post-mint damage. A good way to determine whether a coin is showing damage or an error/variety is to understand the minting process and ask yourself if there’s any possible way the oddity been created through the minting process. If the answer is no, then it’s generally post-Mint damage. That does oversimplify things a bit but it’s actually a pretty sound rule of thumb!

Here’s info on post-mint damage coins: https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/pmd/
      And here’s info on the minting process: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpRz2P4l2g

Hope this helps!
      Josh

4. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/574da3913039183303848e6477174f90fff53f2f413431189ad8c742754f822a.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/15083d79c98f871db59332ec312a6b6da2e32645b0a70680e134994674db4d03.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/574da3913039183303848e6477174f90fff53f2f413431189ad8c742754f822a.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/8cc27289363097cdc0d7b358432ff5d77443b493f2430f52cc6d1e5d6e1f62de.jpg https://upload https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ff4250cb1c08470df775041b7d8989042a58aa84ce76e9860a908bba9c10201b.jpg s.disquscdn.com/images/574da3913039183303848e6477174f90fff53f2f413431189ad8c742754f822a.jpg Hello Josh,
    I found this beautiful 1962 D DDO AND looks like some on the reverse as well but I’ll let you be the judge of that. They’re beautiful doublings on several of the Obverse devices. What do you think about this beautiful specimen of specimens? Thanks a million!! Please disregard black dot accidental passenger from the room

• Hi, Justin —

While this appears to have signs of machine doubling, I’m encouraged by the fact that the mintmark does NOT seem to show the same type of spread as seen in the date. This could point to a possible doubled die, though I’m not finding any diagnostics to confirm which it might be. I suggest getting a second opinion from the folks at CONECA (www.varietyvista.com).

Good luck!
      Josh

5. Hi Josh, do you happen to know of a current pdf guide which shows all of the Errors of each type of US Coins along with Values for Regular ones as well, which also includes pics as examples of each type of error? I enjoyed viewing your info. above!

Also, over 30 years ago for some reason, I went thru an old large piggy bank and separated all of the Wheat Pennies from the regular ones. I then rolled the wheats and kept them in a shoe box. I recently ran into that box, hoping that one day soon when I go thru them that I might be lucky to find something valueable. I like my odds!

I have also acquired quite a lot of various coins from aunts and friends that has since passed. And, still have to p/u a large amount of Silver coins from another aunt. According to her, it’s quite a significant amount so I’m very curious if my cousin was collecting those coins for it’s silver content or were they of the collectible variety. Thx.!

• Hello, Hawnbiz —

I’m not aware of a single PDF file, per se, that contains all this information you’re looking for in one place. I suggest your best bet for accomplishing what you’re looking to do is to peruse the top resources for each angle of information. While we have these comprehensive error files here that link out of this article and a variety of coin prices for the various coin denominations (A List of All U.S. Coins Worth More Than Face Value: https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/us-coins/), there are also some longtime coin dealers/experts who have compiled detailed lists of doubled dies and repunched mintmarks (http://www.doubleddie.com/), general errors (http://jimscoins.com/us_coin_checklist.php), and penny varieties (https://varietyerrors.com/category/copper-coins/), just to name a few.

I’m not sure this is what you’re searching for, but I hope this at least provides you with some direction as you look to cobble together more resources.

All the best,
      Josh

6. Hello Josh,
    This 2006P North Dakota has a possible die break on the rump of the bison with an arrow. I can’t seem to find any facts on it or even if this exists but it also looks like doubling. The obverse also holds what appears to be die breaks where the arrows are placed on the B and R . https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/e7ce0dd8bbbcb4007679850e21b35b86b80bba12bd0a200e40d953332e8b7fcc.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/a7c73e69a98277da2ea42f2a82e69a18d1a2f899345bdb4459a2670306e4a094.jpg Again you’re the pro. Thanks a million!

• Hi, Justin —

Hmmm, yes… Very possibly a die break, as I don’t seem to see any signs the metal was shoved or displaced from the surrounding area of the coin. The other focal points on this coin as indicated by the arrows appear to be artifacts caused by normal wear, but I’m pretty confident in calling this a die break on the reverse behind the bison, at least based on what I see in the image.

Cool find,
      Josh

• Hi, Justin —

A value for something like this really depends on how desirable this particular variety would be to a collector. Assuming it checked out as a die break with an in-hand evaluation, this piece could fetch maybe an additional $5 to $10, possibly more if a similar break has been attributed to this issue and it’s rare.

Hope this helps,
          Josh

• Hi, Justin —

The globs of metal under the “M” in “MONTICELLO” and “GO” of “GOD” appear to be displaced metal through wear. In my opinion this coin is safe to spend if you wish.

Best,
      Josh

7. Thank you for the information on the 1945 penny. Can u please let me know what you think of these two pennies. Every couple of days my daughter gives me the change that gets through the week n I found this 1959 penny n then a couple of months later my sister gave her change to go through n I found this 1972 penny. They look exactly a like. To me it looks like they came from the mint. How could this have happened? The marks look like machine gouges. The one on the left is 1972 n the right is 1959. https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/864fafe79348c53854071236170825f66ff2866c649209763931cb337d52ec2f.jpg https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/fd05d2a8a03771d1d1b8da88e9dc3a4360b9a4a6d16fd40c478ba6a0c13004c8.jpg

• Hi, Anthony —

Both of these pennies exhibit heavy post-mint damage; it looks like they spent a lot of time crushed under pressure on concrete or asphalt. A lot of collectors call these “sidewalk coins” or “parking lot” coins. The only saving grace value wise is these are copper pennies worth around 2 or 3 cents each for their metal value.

Best,