As of October 1st, you can now order the 2009 uncirculated coin set.
The 2009 uncirculated coin set is big! Thirty-six coins (yes, 36!) come in the 2009 uncirculated set.
That includes 18 coins from the Denver mint and 18 coins from the Philadelphia mint.
The bigger set, however, also means a bigger price than last year’s set. The 2009 uncirculated coin set costs $27.95, compared to $22.95 for the 2008 uncirculated coin set.
Coins In The 2009 Uncirculated Set
With 36 coins included in a single set, you may be wondering what the 2009 uncirculated coin set includes.
Here’s a breakdown:
- 8 Lincoln cents (Early Childhood, Formative Years, Professional Life, and Presidency — 4 from Philadelphia and 4 from Denver)
- 2 Jefferson nickels (1 from Philadelphia, 1 from Denver)
- 2 Roosevelt dimes (1 from Philadelphia, 1 from Denver)
- 12 District of Columbia and U.S. Territories quarters (Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands — 6 from Philadelphia, 6 from Denver)
- 2 Kennedy half dollars (1 from Philadelphia, 1 from Denver)
- 8 Presidential $1 coins (William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor — 4 from Philadelphia, 4 from Denver)
- 2 Native American $1 coins (1 from Philadelphia, 1 from Denver)
Now that is quite a collection!
Special Metal For The 2009 Lincoln Cents
You may have heard that 2009 Lincoln cents are being made from mostly copper — the first time since 1982.
But what makes 2009 copper Lincoln cents even more special is that they are being made from the same exact metal composition as the first Lincoln cents struck in 1909. The 1909 (and 2009) metal composition is 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc.
Demand For The 2009 Uncirculated Coin Set
While there are no production or household ordering limits currently advertised for the 2009 uncirculated coin set, it is likely that there will be many casual collectors and advanced numismatists alike clamoring to get at least one set.
There are several reasons demand for the 2009 uncirculated coin set will be strong:
- Inclusion of the Philadelphia and Denver mint 2009 Lincoln cents
- These Lincoln cents come in the same 95% copper 5% tin and zinc composition used for the 1909 cents
- Inclusion of the 2009 D.C. & U.S. Territories quarters
- Inclusion of the 2009 Presidential dollars
- Inclusion of the first Native American dollars
How To Order The 2009 Uncirculated Coin Set
If you want your very own 2009 uncirculated coin set, they can be ordered directly from the U.S. Mint.
Or, if you prefer, you can call the U.S. Mint with your order: 1-800-USA-MINT.