Have you seen the 2017 penny with the “P” mintmark from the Philadelphia Mint?
Are you curious what the 2017-P penny and other 2017 pennies are worth?
If so, you’ve come to the right place — we’ve got the answers you’re looking for!
The 2017-P penny and the 2017-D penny can be found in your everyday pocket change. Both are relatively common coins.
Still, a lot of people are excited about 2017-P pennies — because they’re the first United States one-cent coins to ever bear the “P” mintmark from the Philadelphia Mint.
According to the U.S. Mint, the 2017 pennies will be the only U.S. pennies to contain the “P” mintmark. All other pennies from the Philadelphia Mint don’t contain the mintmark — as had been customary for all Philly-minted one-cent coins from 1793 through 2016.
So what’s up with the 2017-P penny? Why was it made? And what are 2017 pennies worth?
Here are your answers…
2017 Penny Facts
So, why did the Philadelphia Mint place a “P” mintmark on 2017 one-cent coins — marking an historic first?
The “P” mintmark was situated on 2017 pennies as part of the 225th anniversary of the U.S. Mint, which was established by an act of Congress on April 2, 1792.
According to U.S. Mint officials, the determination to place a “P” mintmark on the Lincoln cent was the suggestion of Philadelphia Mint employees, who thought that was a proper gesture to recognize the historic achievements the Mint has made in Philadelphia.
A lot of folks who remember the release of the 2017-P Lincoln penny might recall that there was no announcement made to herald the coin’s arrival. Nada. No marketing. Nothing.
In fact, the Mint intentionally kept the 2017-P coin a secret so they could see how long it would be before people noticed the new coin.
2017-P pennies were released in early January and were first discovered by coin collector in North Carolina during mid January.
It’s easy to see why some people may have thought the 2017-P pennies were error coins, since the “P” mintmark had never appeared on U.S. one-cent coins before. But the Mint confirmed the authenticity of the coins, and they quickly grew in popularity with coin collectors and non-collectors alike.
How rare are they? Here’s the scoop:
- 2017-P pennies were produced by the 10s of millions — like most other Lincoln pennies — and thus aren’t rare.
- 2017-D Lincoln pennies were also produced in the usual mintage well into the millions and aren’t rare, either.
What Are 2017 Pennies Worth?
Most 2017-P pennies are very common, because they were minted by he millions and were released into circulation.
This doesn’t mean 2017-P Lincoln cents aren’t special as one-year type collectibles — since they are the only year in which pennies from Philadelphia have the “P” mintmark.
Still, like the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial cents that were released into circulation as a one-year-only coin, the 2017-P Lincoln penny generally remains a common coin.
What are 2017-P pennies worth? What’s the value of other 2017 pennies?
Here’s what the 2017 penny is worth:
- 2017-P Lincoln penny — 15+ cents
- 2017-D Lincoln penny — 15+ cents
- 2017-S Proof Lincoln penny — $5+
*Values are for coins that are uncirculated, unless otherwise noted.
What are your 2017 pennies worth if you found them in circulation and they’re worn?
- Worn 2017-P pennies are worth face value.
That’s actually good news!… While the 2017-P cent and other 2017 pennies are worth only face value if worn, this makes them affordable for budget coin collectors who want to experience the joy of acquiring unusual coins for their collections without spending an arm and a leg.
What Else Happened When Your 2017 Penny Was Minted?
One word to define the year 2017? Busy!
Here’s a look at what was going on when the 2017 penny was minted:
- Real estate mogul Donald Trump was inaugurated as the 45th president of the United States.
- The United Nations General Assembly declared 2017 the Year of Sustainable International Tourism for Development.
- Harvard University scientists created metallic hydrogen in a laboratory for the first time.
- The 2017 World Expo opened in Kazakhstan.
- Scientists created the world’s first fully synthetic yeast — which is used for biofuels and medicines.
- Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Logan were among the top movies of 2017.
More Info About 2017 Pennies
- Cents Struck At Philadelphia Mint Have P Mintmark
- 2017-P Cents Make Stir With Zero Marketing Dollars
- 2017 Philadelphia Cents Have A P Mintmark
- Little-Known Facts About The Union Shield Pennies
- No Mintmark Means A Coin Was Made At The Philadelphia Mint, Right? (No)
I’m a roller coaster junkie, a weather enthusiast, a frequent traveler, and a numismatist. My love for coins began when I was 11 years old. I primarily collect and study U.S. coins produced during the 20th century. I’m a member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG). I’ve also been studying meteorology and watching weather patterns for years. I enjoy sharing little-known facts and fun stuff about coins, weather, travel, health, food, and living green… on a budget.